You Need a Visa With Work Rights To Work In Australia

Australia is a great place to work and live. However, working in Australia is not an automatic right if you are not a permanent resident or citizen. Plus getting a work visa for Australia can take time and patience. To work in Australia, you must have a valid Australian visa with work rights, and be classified underANZSCO (Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations)for visa skills assessments. ANZSCO is used to determine eligibility for specific occupations and how they are prioritized.

For example,

  • A skilled independent visa is a points-based assessment for tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member in Australia; or those who have not beennominated by a state or territory government. If received, it does allow you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.
  • An employer-nominated visa is a permanent residence visa for skilled workers. It allows you to work in Australia under one of three categories: a Temporary Residence Transition, aDirect-Entry Stream, or an Agreement Stream.
  • A skilled nominated visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory government agency. It allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.

If this all sounds confusing, we understand. Please contact Pathways Visa and we will explain what it all means in everyday language. Call us for details on 04 456 1304 or email us on