The Difference Between Skilled Migration & Work Permits


When it comes to employment visas – the most common names we hear happen to be: Skilled Migration and Work Permits.

But do you know which visa type is best suited to your profile? Is skilled migration the right choice or you should go for a work permit? If you wish to work in a foreign country, it’s very important that you know which visa type will actually work for you.

In general, a skilled migration is given to people who possess certain skills, generally attained through training. The training type varies depending upon the skill as possessed by the worker and he or she doesn’t necessarily have to be extremely educated or have much job experience.

A work permit on the other hand is a legal document that allows a person under the legal age of consent to legally work at a place of employment – and is only issued when the person receives an authentic employment offer.

Let us now understand the other things about skilled migration and work permits that make these visa types different from one another.

As we said, the documentation process for skilled migration and work permits completely depend on the country you wish to migrate. For instance, if you’re planning to migrate to Canada – obtaining a work permit would need the following:

  • A valid job offer from a Canadian employer
  • Proof regarding your financial capability so as to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and to return home
  • Health certificate to prove you’re physically and mentally fit for the job
  • Education documents as needed along with relevant work certificates
  • Documents showing your English and/or French skills level

If you have chosen to apply as a skilled worker, other than presenting your health, education and other personal documents & credentials as required – you’ll need fulfill some more conditions.

  • Certificate to prove your skill or one year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past 10 years in a skilled occupation
  • A minimum of 67 points under the Skilled Worker category
  • Evidence of education training/professional qualifications
  • Pass a minimum threshold of language ability for one of Canada’s two official languages (English/French)

Both these visa types offer you great benefits along with letting you work in the country of your choice. But it can only be fruitful if you choose the right visa type and process things accordingly.

For more details on skilled migration and work permits, give us a call on +971 4 456 1304 – See more at: